Woburn Square was named after the Duke of Bedford’s family seat at Woburn Abbey. The houses there were built between 1829 and 1847 and are generally narrower than those of Gordon Square. The southern portion of the Square, including some of the Gardens, has been redeveloped following expansion of University in the late 1960s.
The gardens comprise of mature plane trees, shrubbery and a lawn. The gardens were restored in 2006 by the University with the support of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant. The work included new railings and the restoration of the summerhouse at the north end of the Garden. There is a children’s play area within the Garden.